Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Inspiration and the power of Fan Fiction

When I was a little girl watching TV, often I'd decide that I didn't like the way a certain episode had ended, or wished it had been longer, or gone further. I loved making up stories based on these series and these characters. I didn't know I was writing or imagining what later would be recognized as Fan Fiction.

Years later, after having a soul-crushing experience with a literary agency, and a crisis of confidence in my ability to write and tell a story, I rediscovered the power of writing for a community about characters we loved. I experimented with genres, with AUs, with new styles of writing, and in doing that, I rediscovered my joy in writing. And talk about a boost in confidence, those words of praise and encouragement from fellow fans and fic writers were like cool water to a thirsty traveler. 

 It's been a long and circuitous route back to writing something that isn't fan fiction, that is mine, to a world I can play with as I choose. ironically, what started out as fan fic, is now completely different. 

I guess what I want to say is that creativity isn't linear. It winds its way through your life in odd and unusual ways, like a river flowing through the landscape of your life with its valleys and peaks and challenging terrain. 

Don't give up. Keep writing. Find a passion and enjoy the journey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment