Monday, September 25, 2017

Plot and Character


 "When I stall during drafting, or even revisions, I have to stop myself from focusing so much on the plot and go back to my characters."
This quote by @RaeAChang on Twitter resonated with me because I struggle with the balance of character and action. Too much in a character's head? Will my readers be bored? Do I need to have more action? Is this too much action? Will my protagonist get lost in the action? 

Finally, this advice made sense to me. As a writer, I want my readers to identify or at the very least, feel empathy with my characters. Yes, I want the plot to be thrilling, and involving. But my heart has always been character focused. 

The best is a balance. I hope i'm writing a well-balanced story; one with strong characters and enough action to move the plot along. Time will tell. 

No comments:

Post a Comment