One of my favorite fanfic authors wrote in a story the truest thing I have ever read about PT.
"Physical therapy took everything he had to give, and some days it felt like it wasn't giving anytwhing back." (Relenafanel, "The Steve Rogers Problem, AO3)
Substitute "Writing" for "Physical therapy." So, so true. Some days writing is the same, you struggled to put the words on the page and they remain stolid and stiff and almost painfully inanimate.
However, also like physical therapy, writing is an exercise and the more you do it, the easier it is. Sure there are setbacks, and sometimes the gain seems minuscule, but it works.
I've been in PT for two weeks working on my back problems, and after each session, I think of the quote above. The next day, when every muscle in my body hurts, I wonder about the gains, but once the stiffness wears offW, I can tell I'm a little better, the pain is a little less.
Writing will never be the easiest thing in the world, but it can be magical. The more I write, the easier the words are. Now plotting? Plotting is always a struggle, particularly when the characters want to take control. More on that later.
Word count: 51,735
No comments:
Post a Comment