Saturday, August 5, 2017

Writing Away From Home

Today I had two choices: I could stay home and write or I could go out and write. It was one of those days when I knew if I stayed home, I would get distracted by a million things - housework, nap-taking (never a good option) Twitter, TV (I'm a Food Network and HGTV addict) and my cat, who is cute but occasionally needy and whiny. 

After running errands, including a stop at a local Farmers Market where I brought a jar of local honey, tomatoes and fresh ears of corn, I had lunch and headed out to find a place to write. Starbucks, right? 

Not so fast. I couldn't get my laptop to connect to the internet, so off I went to the local library instead, where I cranked out about 1,000 words before the chair got too uncomfortable. You know they make library chairs deliberately uncomfortable so you don't sit there too long! Get up! Browse those books! Glare enviously at the oeuvres of published authors ... 

I've discovered why writers hang out in coffee shops, aside from awesome caffeinated drinks. There's soft music in the background, the murmur of other customers, theI presence of other people on laptops. It's much easier to lose yourself in your story than it is at home.

So, where do you like to write? 

Tomorrow, a bit about my book and research. Meanwhile, here's a hint:


Word count: 34,046

No comments:

Post a Comment