Sunday, August 6, 2017

A Pause to Refresh ...

I've read many writers say that you should write every day, even if you feel like you're wading through molasses in January. It's true, writing something every day does keep keep me focused, but some days (Like today) I need to step back and take a breather, let my brain work on plot points, and not push myself to create something new.

I was busy today with mundane things around the house, felt a little worn out physically and creatively after my burst of wonderful productivity yesterday, and knew that whatever I wrote today wouldn't take the story where I need it to go.

That doesn't mean I didn't write anything. I did some editing on what I wrote yesterday,and added a bit to clean up the end of the chapter, which gave me I a clearer idea of where to go next. 

Today's lesson is, if I need a break, I should take a break and not feel guilty that I didn't produce 1500 words per day. However, using some of my time to read over what I wrote yesterday, clean it up and decide if my stroke of creative genius survived the endorphins produced by writing it. 

I'm not a professional, yet. But maybe I'm learning to think like the writer I want to be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment