We're expecting 6-12 inches of snow here in the CLE over the next few days. I'm off work and plan to spend the weekend writing and reading. I've got some great books to read.
1. The Scrublands by Chris Hammer
2. The Gilded Wolves by Roshani Chokshi
3. The Witch Elm by Tana French
I'm halfway through The Scrublands, and it just proves that you can write a mystery/thriller in the present tense. It works well in this novel where the protagonist is out to find the truth about a shocking mass murder. We already know that the killer is also dead, that the events took place a year in the past, and that nobody can explain why it happened. It's also effective because the narrator is unreliable. First, he is suffering from PTSD, he's falling in love with a woman in the town, he's a reporter hanging on to his job. It's fascinating and involving.
As for writing? It's hard to write about hot, humid, stormy weather when it's going to be extremely cold! I hope to get at least a few words completed, though.
It's definitely a weekend to stay inside, stay safe and curl up with a good book.
No comments:
Post a Comment