Thursday, January 3, 2019

New Year's Resolutions and Other Deceptions

New Year's resolutions are not for the faint of heart. Every year we make them and break them, and tell lies about them, knowing full well that that we're lying to ourselves about them. Once broken, we think, what's the use?

Suppose a runner resolves to win a marathon in the next year, but of the hundreds of runners who enter a marathon, there can be only one winner. Their resolution is kaput and they may feel they have failed.

Suppose, instead, their goal is to run a personal best, even by one-tenth of a second? Chances are they will be able to do that.

My goal is to finish my novel, but I may only finish the first draft. I'll still have done something I've never done before. I'll have exceeded my personal best. If I don't finish, then my goal is still out there waiting for me to catch up.

My resolution is to write when I can, and not to obsess about what I haven't done. My goal is set, but I've been kinder to myself. Take a page from business and try to set SMART goals.

  • Specific
  • Measurable
  • Attainable
  • Relevant
  • Time-bound
When I sit down to write, I'll keep those in mind. 
  • Specific: I will write when I have an hour to myself (30 minutes if that's all I have)
  • Measurable: I will write at least 200 words
  • Attainable: Even if those 200 words are dreck, they will still be there. 
  • Relevant: If I only write 200 words a week, I will have at least 10,000 words that are new.
  • Time-bound: One year to finish my first draft. 
Think I can do it? 

No comments:

Post a Comment