Saturday, January 12, 2019

Back to the Writing Life

After taking too much time to prepare for my presentation - which went swimmingly - thank you very much, I'm back to being just a librarian/writer at least for the weekend. Progress on my book? Coming along.


Meanwhile, I'm thinking about this entry from Career Authors:

Are You Making One of These Risky Moves

Apparently, yes, I am. Writing in the present tense. What are my feelings about this? I'm coming from a background of writing Fanfic, much of which is written in the present tense. It seems appropriate for mysteries and thrillers, when the action is so immediate to the protagonists. I don't believe it is for writers on literary fiction only, and as more younger readers take to the present tense both in fanfiction and in their current fiction, I believe they won't make that distinction, either.

I could be wrong, and I could be taking a risk, but why not? It couldn't be any riskier than daring to write to begin with and then putting your work out there, which is far more daunting than a mere grammatical format.

No comments:

Post a Comment