Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Review: The Border

It's almost impossible to do a review of a nearly perfect book. Or the third book of a trilogy without spoilers!

The Border (Power of the Dog, #3)The Border by Don Winslow
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

If I could give this book more than five stars, I would. It is truly epic. I have no doubt that it will be my #1 book at the end of 2019.

The Border concludes the trilogy that began with the Power of the Dog, and The Cartel, while reading the trilogy is helpful, it is not absolutely necessary, as much of the previous history of the characters and the drug trade is deftly included. At the end, it is a fitting wrap-up of the narrative.

This book is intense, as in I couldn't read it at night as the characters stayed with me. There were times I wanted to cry, and at the end, I did cry. Winslow's writing is clean and clear, even when dealing with multiple characters, a timeline that moves back and forth, and enough action to keep you turning pages.

The only warning I can give is that The Border is not for the faint of heart, or language sensitive. It is violent, profane, and uncomfortable, at times. But it is also magnificent.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment