I'm a bad blogger. It's been a month since I last stopped in. Progress on my original work? Maybe 1500 words. It's slow-going at this time of year with vacations, past and upcoming, schools invading the library, and life in general. Plus, it's hard to write when dealing with current events. But here's a few thoughts.
First, I've been reading a lot, which is both inspiring and not. When I read a really good book, self-doubt starts creeping in and I often find myself thinking what on earth made me want to be a writer? Maybe the reason I'm working so slowly is because what I'm writing isn't good enough. Maybe I should give up and take up crochet!
The truth is, I'm terrible at crochet, or crafts. I can't paint, draw, knit, crochet, or needlepoint. The only thing I'm really good at (other than my job - which is basically telling people about books, or answering reference questions) is writing. All the authors I admire say the same thing; if you want to be a writer, first you have to write, and keep writing until you're satisfied with what you've done.
So, along with the coming of Pumpkin Spice Lattes and Christmas Ale, maybe this is the season to write.
^*^*^*^*^*^*^
Thoughts not on writing:
1. Vote. Register to vote before the deadline. Make sure your registration is current.
2. Keep the folks in Florence's path in you thoughts. Since my book deals with homeless veterans, and the homeless population in general, I'm concerned for their safety during the storm and the aftermath.
Thanks for listening to me ramble.
No comments:
Post a Comment